The scary thing with art school is:
- YES you do need to strip mentally naked and bare your innermost soul for ALL to see!
- YES you will get critique.
- YES you might find out that there are things that you thought were clear and definite for everyone
but… it is only clear and definite for YOU, and if you have the will to communicate with others (which is basically what art is all about) you will have to change your ways
So realize what a unique time this is, GRAB the art school experience with both hands and feet, tongue, brain and whatever else, otherwise you are just wasting your time, energy and money. USE us as teachers, use your fellow students. No one is here to hurt you, but we ARE here to give your ART shit (if needed) to make it bigger, better and stronger.
And the MOST important thing is your process:
- HOW you make art.
- HOW you talk about your art AND just as important, how you talk about OTHER people’s art.
- HOW you share your process with the rest of us.
- HOW you come to your results.
- HOW you present your ideas and work.
- HOW you make decisions.
- IF your process is open, transparent and inviting, then you are on the RIGHT track.
Check last year’s SummerSchool Class of ’17
http://1000things.org/en/article/dear-student Dear Student, door Jonas Ohlsson